An exploration of historical and contemporary perspectives in child and youth care, including selected works of international pioneers across a range of child and youth care areas of practice. The theoretical and applied elements of the child and youth care perspective will be examined in relation to direct practice. Significant issues and trends will be investigated. All analyses will include critiques informed by cross-cultural and gender sensitive perspectives.
OVERALL COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES
You will be provided with opportunities to:
- Engage critically with historical issues that relate to CYC
- Trace some of the theoretical perspectives that underlie child and youth care practices and consider their implications for children, youth and families
- Challenge the theory / practice divide through a blog
- Articulate new theoretical frameworks emerging in contemporary child and youth care in relation to your own research interests
- Adopt a critical approach towards your own perspective as it relates to child and youth care praxis